Fiancé(e) (K-1) Visas

The K-1 Visa allows the foreign national fiancé(e) to enter the United States and marry his or her United States citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. A petitioner who is applying on behalf of his or her finance must show:

  • The petitioner is a U.S. citizen.
  • The petitioner intends to marry within 90 days of the fiancé(e) entering the United States.
  • The petitioner and the fiancé(e) are both free to marry and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.
  • The petitioner and the fiancé(e) met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing the petition. Unless:
  1. The requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of the petitioner’s or fiancé(s)’s foreign culture or social practice; or
  2. The petitioner can prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to the petitioner.

If petitioner’s fiancé(e) has a child (under 21 and unmarried), a K-2 nonimmigrant visa may be available to him or her.


Fees are charged for the following services:

  • Filing an Alien Fiancé(e) Petition, Form I-129F
  • Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee, Form DS-160 (required for each K visa applicant)
  • Medical examination (required for each K visa applicant; costs vary from post to post)
  • Other costs may include translation and photocopying charges, fees for getting the documents required for the visa application (such as passport, police certificates, birth certificates, etc.), and travel expenses to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an interview. Costs vary from country to country and case to case.
  • Filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

Call KZ Law Offices today to schedule your consultation at (781) 343-1606.

Kat Shnayder

Kat (Katya) Shnayder, Esq.
Kat ZavadskayaReviewsout of 3 reviews
Kat ZavadskayaClients’ ChoiceAward 2019





Fill out the form below to recieve a confidential initial consultation.